Thursday, October 20, 2011

Writing - the process

Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing and learn as you go.” - E.L. Doctorow

These words couldn't be more true. I always knew I wanted to write romance novels with paranormal twists creatively woven in the plot to make my stories fantastical, enjoyable, and able to take the reader away from their current locale, situation, and stresses of daily life. Well, you can't achieve that goal as a writer - it is my personal ultimate goal with my stories - without first knowing how to write. Punctuation, grammer, the use of a comma? I couldn't believe there are entire books out there dedicated in how to correctly use a comma! Oh yes, I bit that one, and I chewed vigorously. Do I have a handle on correct comma use? Probably not. But I'm trying :)

Feel free to comment your funny stories on how punctuation may have landed you hot water. I'd love to hear them :)

3 comments:

  1. To be swept away into a romantic fantasy, Mandi, trumps proper commas in my book.
    Karen
    http://www.soulmatepublishing.com/products/That-Carrington-Magic.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Punctuation and grammar--holy cow. I'm still learning SOOOO much LOL! Typos are the hardest part for me though. I make them and then don't see them! Once I had a character who was reWORDed with kindess instead of reWARDed with it *Still laughing*

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my most favorite websites is grammargirl.com. :) I'm a total word nerd. Do you have Strunk and White's reference book? Stephen King says every writer should have one in his or her arsenal, and I have to agree. :) I make some pretty big mistakes sometimes and it's nice to look them up and see that I'm not the only one! ;)

    ReplyDelete