Friday, December 23, 2011

Jesse Kimmel-Freeman - Bella Notte - YA Paranormal Romance









Author Interview: Jesse Kimmel-Freeman




1.) When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I never knew I wanted to be a writer. It just sort of happened. I decided to write the book I wanted to read- the rest is history.




2.) What type of genre do you write in?
I write young adult paranormal romance, as well as illustrate and write children's books.




3.) What inspires you to write in this genre?
I love to read YA books. If there was one genre I could read for the rest of my life it would be YA. So I decided to write what I enjoyed. As for the children's books, that has everything to do with my kids.




4.) Where to you get your ideas for your writing?
I let the world give them to me. Everything and anything has the potential for being put into a book- the blessing and curse of being a writer. What do you allow into your stories and what do you keep out because it reminds within that small area of your life that is meant to stay personal and private? Or is it all free game as long as it's presented as fiction? I blend reality with fantasy.
5.) Who are your favorite authors and why?
Kate Chopin wrote The Awakening. I fell in love with this book. Something about it sparked a fire inside of me that never went out. It is one of the few books that I have read several times- which speaks volumes because I almost never re-read a book. Marge Percy wrote He, She, and It. I had to read this for a robotics/computer science class during my undergraduate years and when I read the story, it touched my heart. It spoke to the place inside me that can see passed boundaries and limitations. Both of these women inspired and filled me with awe.




6.) In your opinion, what key parts of a story make it great?
The characters are by far the most important part of a story. They're the ones that bring it alive for the readers and that connection is what makes a story stay with a reader or be forgotten.



7.) What activities do you undertake for inspiration?
Just going through my day. Listening to what's going on around me. Remembering a dream. Hearing a song on the radio. Overhearing a conversation while in line at the grocery store. Some of the best inspiration comes from the things around you that you wouldn't expect to inspire you.



8.) Do you belong to any writing communities, or critique groups?
I belong to several network groups, but nothing specifically aimed at critiquing or the techniques of writing.




9.) Do you have a day job?
My day job is being a mom. Writing gets worked in as I can. Right now, all of my writing time is going to editing the second book in my series and promoting my first book.




10.) If you could do it over again, what aspects of the writing/submission process would you change before becoming published?
I might not go through three years of submitting to agents and publishers. I feel like I spent a lot of time trying to find the right agent/publisher when I could've been writing or doing something more productive with my time.




11.) What is the title of your upcoming/newly released novel, and where can we find it?
Bella Notte was released November 21st, 2011. Bella Vita will be released early next year- it looks like late January. Bella Notte can be found at Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble online, All Romance eBooks online, Smashwords, and CreateSpace. This will be the same for Bella Vita. Also, in honor of Christmas coming up, there's a short story available for free on Smashwords titled, “A Bella Notte Christmas Story.” It is basically two of the main characters from Bella Notte having their first Christmas together.

No comments:

Post a Comment