Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Author Schedules

Writers have very busy lives, and it becomes quite difficult to balance day jobs, family and friend responsibilities, and making sure there is still time left over to get in quality writing. That doesn't even include time for promoting, blogging, hosting other authors, building your platform which has become crucial to an author's success, and plotting out the next WIP before you're done finishing your current project.
What I've found to really help accomplish what I need to do and still get my writing time in is to set goals for myself. Realistically, I know I can get a rough draft done for a full-length novel in 4-5 months, I'd like to cut that time in half, but I'm a busy gal, so that's not likely to happen.
Word count expectations are crucial in meeting that goal of having a full-length draft completed in my alloted set amount of time, so every week I do my darndest to meet that goal, and I always have a handy notepad near to jot down ideas for future projects.
What does everyone see as their achievable goals in completing rough drafts for their projects, is it normal to give myself a due date for what I'm currently working on?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mandi,

    I read in the book "On Writing" by Stephen King that a writer should devote at least one hour a day to their writing.

    Not 59 minutes but at least an hour and after you get going you will probably go over that time but tell yourself you will at least write one hour a day.

    Love your blog! :)

    Lisa V. Proulx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Lisa, and that is a great tip from an awesome author

    ReplyDelete