Monday, January 2, 2012

Where do you get your inspiration?

Imagination plays a huge part in fiction writer's work, but where does the rest come from? I write paranormal romance, and the market is rife with typical vampire love stories where the main characters live happily together for all eternity. That would be the ideal set up, I mean who doesn't love a story of fated, eternal love? The problem is, how many times does a reader want to read a story with different personalities, but there is always the same formula - despite the fact the stories are written by a multitude of authors.

So... The big question is, where do you go to find that sparkly angle that makes your story unique and able to stand out from other authors that write in your same genre?

Walking into work? Looking at products in stores? Watching people interact with each other, their children, and their animals? Every aspect of our lives is an opportunity to have your muse experience what you see, smell, hear, touch, and taste, with any twist of variation that suits your fancy.

That's what I love about writing, the sky's the limit.

2 comments:

  1. I look to the latest and greatest in what science feels they might be on the cusp of discovering. This is what I use for the basis of my book. Then add greed, murder, and mayhem and mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My (as-yet-unpublished) scribblings are things that've been lurking around the dark corners of my cranium and, sometimes, my dreams...Writing prompts, though, have sparked some interesting things, in the course of an already plotted out story. What about you, from whence does your inspiration spring?

    ReplyDelete